Skip to main content

Early Morning Field Trip -1

Viki works to get a wildflower shot,
remembering that it's much better to get down to the level
of your subject to get the best angle of view.
Now and then it's important to drop everything and go take pictures.  It's also wonderful to share that experience with someone.

Decide what our subject is,
 then make sure it's obvious to your audience.
Yesterday I had the opportunity to work with a talented novice photographer, someone who wanted some pointers.  We had agreed to meet at a local park where we could photograph sunrise on the river, the wildlife in the area, and then a friend's garden.  There was a lot of opportunity to share skills and ideas and get down and dirty as we collected photographs in our own "back yard," so to speak.

The sun had technically risen, but had not reached it's beautiful fingers to the park.  As we talked a little about our experiences, and what we each liked to photograph the most, the color on the tree tops started to change, and then reached the river.  Beautiful.  No direct sun, but a lovely diffused light which got us in the mood to look for more early morning scenes to photograph.


There are numerous ducks in our area, so they were a logical subject.  I have been so often instructed to shoot "through the bars," so as to not get the fence in your wildlife photo.  However, I was actually missing some good shots I decided, as I watched Viki capture some nicely framed duck photos.  The fence separating the walkway from the river made a great framing tool! 

I didn't notice the ripples being put out by these ducks until
 I examined the photos later. 
What luck! 
I think it adds to the framing of the subject.
Make decisions on how you frame your subject based on what
 you like, and your audience will usually like it as well.
There are so many decisions to make, and since both Viki and I prefer getting the shot "right" in the camera, we were shooting with the conviction that we needed our best shot; we were not going to plan on using Photoshop or other editing software to try and fix our mistakes.  However, that does not mean we won't change our photo to Black and White, or Sepia.  Anything that could be done in a dark room is fair game for tweaking a photo to create a certain mood.  Ansel Adams did it - why couldn't we?

Are those leaves changing color already?! 
 I personally don't mind a hint that fall is on the way, but let's not rush it!

These ducks are definitely the subject, even though it's not a "portrait." 
 The scene around your subject is also important at times. 
Your choice.
We finished at the river and decided it was time for flower photography, and hopefully a few insects and other garden creatures.   More about this part of the adventure another day this week.


Enjoy this day, and every day. 

Comments

Unknown said…
What a fantastic teacher Sandy is! She has a way of making suggestions but also letting me try things on my own. Not having any kind of formal instruction before it was so rewarding to hear Sandy tell me I had a good eye but also instruct me in ways to make the shot even better. It is interesting to me to see how some of our shots are almost the same where as others she saw something different through the lens then I did. Thank you Sandy for a wonderful experience capturing God's beauty.Viki
S. Etole said…
This sounds like a great way to spend some time learning new ideas and skills.
Sandy K. said…
Thank you so much, Viki. I love helping others discover the wonders of nature, and the world around them. And Sue, it is a great way to talk through and demonstrate techniques, skills, and share a common passion.
Jeanie said…
This looks like fun! Maybe when I get retired, we'll have to meet up for a field trip!
joyce said…
Wish I could come with you for some lessons....love the ducks on the dock, that has such great composition!
Sandy K. said…
Thank you for your comments - it's so important to keep those skills, and passion, ignited:). Yes, Jeanie...a field trip is definitely in order. But I'm going with YOU- France looks WONDERFUL! And Joyce, it sure would be fun. I am finally getting to where I can see "choices" in composition. Fun!

Popular posts from this blog

100 Blessings

It's funny how a project takes on a life of its own. I started out making a list of things I'd like to take pictures of - piles of M&M's, rocks on the beach, license plates hanging on an old garage door. Then I decided it would be interesting to find 100 items about "me," celebrating my 100th post with items about me/my life/etc. This way I could tie my compulsion to blog in to my theme. So, I started THAT list. And when I was done I decided all the things I was collecting, ideas as well as items, were actually blessings. Things about my life that make me who I am and allow me to keep striving to be the best I can be at what I do. Each activity isn't necessarily a blessing, it's my ability to do the things I love to do, and be with the people I love to be with. This became an introspective activity, and that's probably where I am in my life right now. If the shoe fits..., so to speak. So, welcome to my 100th Post ! Without everyone I've met thr

Macro Monday + One

With a little help from my friend (+1=not macro, though taken with my macro lens) Things I Love About Summer (in no particular order, though I see food appears higher on the list than does exercise.) Picnics Fresh fruit Fresh vegetables Celebrations Fireworks Family reunions Quiet, country mornings Showy meadows Gentle rains Thunder storms Family gatherings Children's laughter at dusk The sound of dogs barking Windows open Gently blowing curtains Big puffy clouds Being warm Sandals The smell of fresh cut grass The sound of lawn mowers Sitting on the porch reading Time The colors Flowers GREEN Leaves on the trees Adventures Photo ops Waves on the beach Ice cream Long walks Riding bikes Having church outside at the pavilion Camping Boating Fairs Sunrise and Sunsets The Great Lakes I'm sure this isn't the entire list, but it's a good start. It could also become a "things I'm grateful for" list, as well. We need to take time periodically to reflect on all t

Restoration in the Works!

  The Ammi Wright House.  Built 1888.         Our town has some pretty remarkable older homes and businesses.  Many have already been restored and are residences and/or businesses.   We went to a meeting the other night which focused on how to go about restoring a beautiful old lumber Barron's home - the Ammi Wright house, just off the main street. It has been empty for a great many years and needs a lot of work to bring it back to life.  But this group of people can do it.   The building itself is already purchased as part of an agreement with the Gratiot Area Historical Society.  Located in a nearby town, they have purchased it and Alma will be part of this system.  We are now forming committees for all the areas which need to be addressed, including historical research, fundraising, publicity, etc.  Lots of work, and lots of interest.  There is a steering committee in place, and we all signed up for an area we feel comfortable helping with.  Mine is research, which is no surpris