Skip to main content

Memories


Have you ever had one of those days when just about everything you do reminds you of some other time in your life? Memorial Day weekend we attended the 44th Highland Festival, an annual tradition in our town, and I suddenly realized how long I've been here, and how much of my life has revolved around/evolved here!

The first time I ever attended a festival was as a student in college, which was VERY long ago - 1971. In fact, I've even been part of the parade a time or two - like the time I rode with my sorority on a float, dressed like a scarecrow maybe? That memory is fuzzy - I wonder why:). I have built floats, lawn decorations, and attended many a Scottish celebration.


But the fun doesn't stop there. Then I settled down here...raising a family...and the fun REALLY began. I didn't have to build the floats anymore, or ride on them, but I wheeled strollers to every parade, then sat on rainy stadium bleachers or inside gymnasiums which absolutely vibrated with bagpipe music and the hum of many voices chatting, encouraging children, giving last-minute instructions - all to watch our budding Highland Dancers work to earn their points, medals and trophies. Let's not forget mopping up the disappointed tears of our offspring when they did not get a "prize."

Of course, besides dancing the children marched in the parade as members of one or another school band, sometimes playing instruments and sometimes twirling flags. Perhaps we waved as they walked by with their scout troop, as well. Riding on floats as part of some organization or another, or the year we had someone on the Highland Festival Queen's court, rounded out the many ways we have participated in this Scottish tradition.


Fortunately, there is usually something new and "updated" in each parade. This year I was particularly taken with this unique way to sport a kilt.



And just when you think you have it made, the kids have left the nest and we can choose whether or not to listen to the drone of the pipes or fight the congestion of the crowds - --grandchildren. In the parade, riding floats, and dancing their little feet off. We have laughed ruefully a few times, that's for sure. But we support the next generation the best we can,just as we've been doing for many years.



This year I may have seen a new spin on an old theme, as Daryl took his place in the parade, driving the cutest little airplane-cars a child would ever want to ride in. A granddaughter by his side....they made the parade route zoom by.


And one more year we watched our sleepy community rise into full Highland spirit, welcoming crowds of people from all over the world, celebrating the Scottish heritage of our town. Returning to normal on Sunday evening, we stored many new memories in journals and scrapbooks and drawers.

Do you have any traditions you "just can't miss?"

Comments

Christine said…
Awwwww.... I miss the Highland Festival! I must say, though, that all the memories I have of when IIIII was in the parade are not "fuzzy" at all (*gasp* MOM)!!!!
Sandy K. said…
I was actually thinking about that while doing the post - you were very lovely on that float. We were very proud of the way you handled the "situation." Love ya, daughter.

Popular posts from this blog

100 Blessings

It's funny how a project takes on a life of its own. I started out making a list of things I'd like to take pictures of - piles of M&M's, rocks on the beach, license plates hanging on an old garage door. Then I decided it would be interesting to find 100 items about "me," celebrating my 100th post with items about me/my life/etc. This way I could tie my compulsion to blog in to my theme. So, I started THAT list. And when I was done I decided all the things I was collecting, ideas as well as items, were actually blessings. Things about my life that make me who I am and allow me to keep striving to be the best I can be at what I do. Each activity isn't necessarily a blessing, it's my ability to do the things I love to do, and be with the people I love to be with. This became an introspective activity, and that's probably where I am in my life right now. If the shoe fits..., so to speak. So, welcome to my 100th Post ! Without everyone I've met thr...

Celebrating 100 Posts - A Challenge

Yes, we are closing in on our 100th post . Truly amazing. Thank you for reading and participating, helping keep the ideas, words and photos flowing. In honor of this momentous occasion, let's have a party. A party where "100" is featured. Do not become concerned if an idea doesn't pop into your head right away. You have one week to come up with something which includes 100 . Think party, celebration and fun. Think creatively. Think challenge. Photography is about expressing yourself, and challenging yourself. Here's a real stretcher! Celebrate with us by posting a photo (or series) which depicts the number 100 in some way. Let me know if you're going to participate and I'll create a way for everyone to link to each other's pages - chuckling, laughing, crying and surprising. You'll be amazed what you see when you start looking. Still at a loss? Here is a non-exhaustive look at the number 100: 100 years ago (something nostalgic- there's wigg...

Adventure Spots - Ours and Yours

It's June. Officially a summer month, and one I have always loved. It's also a time when I start thinking about having an adventure...to some beautiful, place more distant than my town. Last summer we had a wonderous trip through the western national parks, and spent a little time on the Oregon coast. The Columbia River gorge is beautiful - lush and exotic, fragrant, and heady with motion and sound. The waterfalls are astounding - and we love Multomah falls particularly. There's an upper and lower falls, with hiking paths for those who want to get up close and personal. The regular tourist path is paved, and leads you to this footbridge, spanning the cliff walls between upper and lower falls. Stunning. Where is one of your favorite adventure spots, and why does it touch your soul?