Skip to main content

Camera Test 2


Hurray!  I was able to access the photos on my new point-and-shoot so can continue my comparison between iPhone photography, point-and-shoot, and a digital SLR camera.  Let the fun continue!

I will admit to having purchased a higher end point-and-shoot - a Canon G7x.  So far I am loving it!

First I want to know I can get strong colors.  In the photo of the Grand Hotel, above, I think it handled the colors very well - the yellow is true, as well as the color of the flags.  The flowers show up well, as well, and the white is not overly bright.

In the photos below, the top one is not the "best" photo,  as the leaves were moving a bit, but it handled the contrast between the red and green well.  I do think the leaves are a bit washed out, but it cold have been a lighting issue.  Just keep shooting and see.


The red on the side of the barn, below,  is very true and bright.  The sun was late in the day, so the light was quite good on it.  I love how you can see the texture in the woods.


The reds, again, are strong.  The blue and white also look clean and true.


Yes, it is true I take a lot of outdoor and nature shots, so looking away from strong colors, what do I get?  I set the menu to Black & White to see how the camera handles contrast.  I think it did a very nice job in both these photos - catching the highlights of the sun through the trees, and the difference in depth from ground level.  It isn't sharp in the very front, but I am not sure I was in a good position to see that at the time.  I am going to shoot some more samples.  Texture looks good there, as well.



What about depth of field?  That is the amount of sharpness through the photo, front to back.  In the photo above, it did a nice job of catching the closeness of the pine cones, with a gentle fade to the back.  Most of the photo is sharp.

And both far and near are good in these two examples.  The texture in the bottom photo is very good, as well.



What about people, though?  This does include our fabulous pup, of course!

Kaycee is quite photogenic, actually.  So I was looking to see if the camera picked up the subtleties in her coloring, and the wisps of fur.  I think this camera did a very nice job, showing detail.


This gentleman was a sawyer at a State Park we visited last weekend.  Look at how the lighting is soft and even, until you get down to the contrasty sun patch on the log.  This is normal, if the bright sun is shining on something.  I love the rest of the photo - the richness of the wood and the soft lighting on the leaves of the tree outside the window.  This impressed me, and is VERY close to the DSLR shots I took.  That side-by-side comparison will come later.


This shot was taken in a restaurant which had mixed lighting - outside brightness, regular lightbulbs, and another kind of lighting.  Light fighting each other.  The photo is not true color, but looks very warm and atmospheric.  Sometimes that is okay...it is a personal preference.  You can see the competing light if you look at the faces of the gentleman by the window, and the then the woman in the middle.  Two different looks.


So how did it stack up?  I have lots of other photos to compare too, but this sampling demonstrates why I love this camera, and will use it a lot.  I do think the challenge comes with indoor photos, so will dedicate another post to that type of photography.


It is SO much fun to experiment - don't be afraid to put whatever device you use to the test!  Try different settings, different lightly, different subjects.  The more you "play" the more you will learn!

Enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 Blessings

It's funny how a project takes on a life of its own. I started out making a list of things I'd like to take pictures of - piles of M&M's, rocks on the beach, license plates hanging on an old garage door. Then I decided it would be interesting to find 100 items about "me," celebrating my 100th post with items about me/my life/etc. This way I could tie my compulsion to blog in to my theme. So, I started THAT list. And when I was done I decided all the things I was collecting, ideas as well as items, were actually blessings. Things about my life that make me who I am and allow me to keep striving to be the best I can be at what I do. Each activity isn't necessarily a blessing, it's my ability to do the things I love to do, and be with the people I love to be with. This became an introspective activity, and that's probably where I am in my life right now. If the shoe fits..., so to speak. So, welcome to my 100th Post ! Without everyone I've met thr

Macro Monday + One

With a little help from my friend (+1=not macro, though taken with my macro lens) Things I Love About Summer (in no particular order, though I see food appears higher on the list than does exercise.) Picnics Fresh fruit Fresh vegetables Celebrations Fireworks Family reunions Quiet, country mornings Showy meadows Gentle rains Thunder storms Family gatherings Children's laughter at dusk The sound of dogs barking Windows open Gently blowing curtains Big puffy clouds Being warm Sandals The smell of fresh cut grass The sound of lawn mowers Sitting on the porch reading Time The colors Flowers GREEN Leaves on the trees Adventures Photo ops Waves on the beach Ice cream Long walks Riding bikes Having church outside at the pavilion Camping Boating Fairs Sunrise and Sunsets The Great Lakes I'm sure this isn't the entire list, but it's a good start. It could also become a "things I'm grateful for" list, as well. We need to take time periodically to reflect on all t

Restoration in the Works!

  The Ammi Wright House.  Built 1888.         Our town has some pretty remarkable older homes and businesses.  Many have already been restored and are residences and/or businesses.   We went to a meeting the other night which focused on how to go about restoring a beautiful old lumber Barron's home - the Ammi Wright house, just off the main street. It has been empty for a great many years and needs a lot of work to bring it back to life.  But this group of people can do it.   The building itself is already purchased as part of an agreement with the Gratiot Area Historical Society.  Located in a nearby town, they have purchased it and Alma will be part of this system.  We are now forming committees for all the areas which need to be addressed, including historical research, fundraising, publicity, etc.  Lots of work, and lots of interest.  There is a steering committee in place, and we all signed up for an area we feel comfortable helping with.  Mine is research, which is no surpris