Skip to main content

History Meets Reality with Hints of Science Fiction

The Nina, left, and Pinta, moored in the marina.
Remember the day of the eclipse?   It happened to be the day we finally had a chance to get out of town and spend some time adventuring.  We packed up Kaycee, a cooler, and headed to Traverse City to see the hand-built replicas of the Nina and Pinta.

The Nina was built using only adzes, axes, hand saws and chisels, in addition to naturally-shaped
 timbers from the local forest. She stands 65' long, 18' across the beam, with a draft of 7'.
The sail area is 1, 919 sq. feet.  She took 32 months to build.
Both ships are exact replicas of those sailed in 1492, and they are called the Columbus Ships.  They were built in Valenca, Brazil by eighth generation Portuguese shipwrights.  There is no home port for these ships, as they are moving 11 months of the year, providing educational opportunities to everyone.  There is no Santa Maria because she never made it back to Europe, she is too big to make it through the waterways the ships have to go through, and Christopher Columbus did not like the Santa Maria because she was very slow and clumsy.


We met friends who were vacationing in the area, and while everyone else toured the ships, Kaycee and I found a lot to do.  As the afternoon grew to the "total eclipse" time (though we were gifted with about 70%), it was fun to watch the public engage in all the activities Traverse City waterfront has to offer.  It was extra special with the excitement of the eclipse.






The day had been beautiful, with a blue, cloudless sky...and just as the time for the eclipse was coming upon us, so did the clouds.  I think many were disappointed, but I could tell the light was changing, and there was kind-of an eery feel to the color of day.


While Kaycee and I were having fun by the water, the rest of our crew was enjoying their tour of the ships...and the kids played at the pirate history of the sea.




It was a Jolly Good Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 Blessings

It's funny how a project takes on a life of its own. I started out making a list of things I'd like to take pictures of - piles of M&M's, rocks on the beach, license plates hanging on an old garage door. Then I decided it would be interesting to find 100 items about "me," celebrating my 100th post with items about me/my life/etc. This way I could tie my compulsion to blog in to my theme. So, I started THAT list. And when I was done I decided all the things I was collecting, ideas as well as items, were actually blessings. Things about my life that make me who I am and allow me to keep striving to be the best I can be at what I do. Each activity isn't necessarily a blessing, it's my ability to do the things I love to do, and be with the people I love to be with. This became an introspective activity, and that's probably where I am in my life right now. If the shoe fits..., so to speak. So, welcome to my 100th Post ! Without everyone I've met thr

Macro Monday + One

With a little help from my friend (+1=not macro, though taken with my macro lens) Things I Love About Summer (in no particular order, though I see food appears higher on the list than does exercise.) Picnics Fresh fruit Fresh vegetables Celebrations Fireworks Family reunions Quiet, country mornings Showy meadows Gentle rains Thunder storms Family gatherings Children's laughter at dusk The sound of dogs barking Windows open Gently blowing curtains Big puffy clouds Being warm Sandals The smell of fresh cut grass The sound of lawn mowers Sitting on the porch reading Time The colors Flowers GREEN Leaves on the trees Adventures Photo ops Waves on the beach Ice cream Long walks Riding bikes Having church outside at the pavilion Camping Boating Fairs Sunrise and Sunsets The Great Lakes I'm sure this isn't the entire list, but it's a good start. It could also become a "things I'm grateful for" list, as well. We need to take time periodically to reflect on all t

Restoration in the Works!

  The Ammi Wright House.  Built 1888.         Our town has some pretty remarkable older homes and businesses.  Many have already been restored and are residences and/or businesses.   We went to a meeting the other night which focused on how to go about restoring a beautiful old lumber Barron's home - the Ammi Wright house, just off the main street. It has been empty for a great many years and needs a lot of work to bring it back to life.  But this group of people can do it.   The building itself is already purchased as part of an agreement with the Gratiot Area Historical Society.  Located in a nearby town, they have purchased it and Alma will be part of this system.  We are now forming committees for all the areas which need to be addressed, including historical research, fundraising, publicity, etc.  Lots of work, and lots of interest.  There is a steering committee in place, and we all signed up for an area we feel comfortable helping with.  Mine is research, which is no surpris