Skip to main content

Art Framed by Nature


War Mother - 1939
While we were in Austin, Texas over the holiday we took the children to the Umlauf Sculpture Garden and Museum.  It houses the largest collection of bronze sculpture in Texas, and is designed for enjoyment and accessibility.  There are "touch tours" for the visually impaired, captioned films for the hearing impaired and wheel-chair accessible pathways so anyone who wants access to the works is able to enjoy the experience to the fullest.

Another great fact - the sculptor and his wife built a home and studio here, when they conceived this vision.  They overlook the existing park and museum..


"Touch" is a very key word....and perfectly designed for high-energy children.  "Bronze" also sounded good, as it sounds very strong and secure.  The kids could run around and burn off energy, as well as enjoy the art form.  Perfect.

Beast of Burden - 1953
Spirit of Flight - 1959



And run and touch is what they did.  The Garden area was beautifully landscaped, with winding paths and sculptures well placed within the natural setting.  Both the children found favorites...my 3 1/2 year old granddaughter is enamored with horses and donkeys, and when she saw the donkey sculpture we had a really hard time getting her to move on.  My grandson, who is 7, didn't seem to have a specific favorite, but thoroughly enjoyed feeling the textures of stone and bronze.

Madonna and Child - 1967
Bambino Su Cuscino - Bronze - 1976
Poetess -Cast Stone - 1956 
The museum was also very interesting, and the sculptures had a different flavor.  Still touchable, they were more fragile so we had to be more watchful.  But there was an approachability to each piece of work which drew us in.  The photographer in me also had to have some fun with angle and light...and framing.





What a great day, with both children and adults actively engaged in learning about sculpture, and enjoying the day in nature  The city of Austin has done a wonderful job of creating green space and cultural accessibility for all.  We need to celebrate these efforts and encourage their development everywhere.

We're ready to go back any day- particularly as we are blanketed in the cold and snow of mid-Michigan!

Comments

Jeanie said…
This looks like a great place! And the kids are adorable. Sure could use a little Texas weather now!
Kamana said…
what lovely children
Sandy K. said…
Thank you, Jeanie and Kamana. It was such a wonderful time with the kids, and the weather was lovely. Then to come back to this. I will adjust my attitude, I am sure:).

Popular posts from this blog

100 Blessings

It's funny how a project takes on a life of its own. I started out making a list of things I'd like to take pictures of - piles of M&M's, rocks on the beach, license plates hanging on an old garage door. Then I decided it would be interesting to find 100 items about "me," celebrating my 100th post with items about me/my life/etc. This way I could tie my compulsion to blog in to my theme. So, I started THAT list. And when I was done I decided all the things I was collecting, ideas as well as items, were actually blessings. Things about my life that make me who I am and allow me to keep striving to be the best I can be at what I do. Each activity isn't necessarily a blessing, it's my ability to do the things I love to do, and be with the people I love to be with. This became an introspective activity, and that's probably where I am in my life right now. If the shoe fits..., so to speak. So, welcome to my 100th Post ! Without everyone I've met thr

Macro Monday + One

With a little help from my friend (+1=not macro, though taken with my macro lens) Things I Love About Summer (in no particular order, though I see food appears higher on the list than does exercise.) Picnics Fresh fruit Fresh vegetables Celebrations Fireworks Family reunions Quiet, country mornings Showy meadows Gentle rains Thunder storms Family gatherings Children's laughter at dusk The sound of dogs barking Windows open Gently blowing curtains Big puffy clouds Being warm Sandals The smell of fresh cut grass The sound of lawn mowers Sitting on the porch reading Time The colors Flowers GREEN Leaves on the trees Adventures Photo ops Waves on the beach Ice cream Long walks Riding bikes Having church outside at the pavilion Camping Boating Fairs Sunrise and Sunsets The Great Lakes I'm sure this isn't the entire list, but it's a good start. It could also become a "things I'm grateful for" list, as well. We need to take time periodically to reflect on all t

Restoration in the Works!

  The Ammi Wright House.  Built 1888.         Our town has some pretty remarkable older homes and businesses.  Many have already been restored and are residences and/or businesses.   We went to a meeting the other night which focused on how to go about restoring a beautiful old lumber Barron's home - the Ammi Wright house, just off the main street. It has been empty for a great many years and needs a lot of work to bring it back to life.  But this group of people can do it.   The building itself is already purchased as part of an agreement with the Gratiot Area Historical Society.  Located in a nearby town, they have purchased it and Alma will be part of this system.  We are now forming committees for all the areas which need to be addressed, including historical research, fundraising, publicity, etc.  Lots of work, and lots of interest.  There is a steering committee in place, and we all signed up for an area we feel comfortable helping with.  Mine is research, which is no surpris