Skip to main content

Making the Best of Things

For those of you who haven't met Roamin' before,
this little elf travels in my camera bag
 wherever we go. 
 He LOVES adventures! 
 

And this adventure turned out to be a wet one.  The best laid plans of mice and men.  We embarked on our annual trip to the beautiful Upper Peninusla for fall color and...


...we happened to choose the only weekend of the month (so far) in which rain ruled each day.  The other outrageous almost-disaster of the weekend was the Washington-induced closure of some of our favorite haunts.  Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.  Closed.  Which means the following destinations were unreachable:

Miner's Falls, Mosquito Falls, Chapel Falls, Spray Falls, Sable Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, Miner's Beach and Falls, White Birch Forest... and more.  You couldn't even drive down some of the roads in the area because they were part of Federal lands.


Let's not forget that Seney National Wildlife Refuge was not available either.  Oh well.  There will  be another time.



Of course, we had other options.  We were still able to enjoy the town of St. Ignace, where fall festivities filled the air...






and the lakeshore by Grand Marais...








We could visit road-side falls like Alger Falls, outside Munising...


and explore woods and a wonderful little inland lake...

 
 
 
 
...as well as eat at one of our favorite hideaways - the Buckhorn.
 


To the East of the National Lakeshore is Tahquamenon Falls, which we have always enjoyed.  Meeting up with photo friends in Newberry, we had breakfast then went to shoot the lower falls.  They're smaller than the upper falls, but there are some really wonderful opportunities to grab wonderful waterfall and color.  We got all set up and took a few shots, and it started to sprinkle. 

 

Do I like it in Black and White? 
It's actually with an Orange Filter effect.
As the sprinkles turned to a real shower, we decide to tough it out.  Mary pulled some baggies from her camera bag and we dug through our own equipment and found one of our rain-sleeves.  Bob wasn't shooting, by that point, and Mary put her things away before the deluge hit. 


 

We still worked at a few shots, and Daryl got a really unique image using the waterfall as a backdrop for some foliage.  Finally we had to call it a day, the party broke up, and we headed for home, 
 

where the sun came out and rewarded us with a beautiful view of our own back yard.  There is probably a message there, don't you think?!

Comments

Jeanie said…
I love following along on your photo trip! It's wonderful -- despite the rain. And you did get some marvelous shots of the color. Rick is heading north this weekend, while I go south to Cleveland. I think he stands a better chance than I at getting good color!
S. Etole said…
You found some splendid color in spite of it all. Looks like a beautiful area.
Relyn Lawson said…
Gorgeous travels you've been enjoying.
Dagmar said…
The fall colors are stunning and you've done a great job capturing them.
Hope you had a wonderful trip.
Dagmar

Popular posts from this blog

100 Blessings

It's funny how a project takes on a life of its own. I started out making a list of things I'd like to take pictures of - piles of M&M's, rocks on the beach, license plates hanging on an old garage door. Then I decided it would be interesting to find 100 items about "me," celebrating my 100th post with items about me/my life/etc. This way I could tie my compulsion to blog in to my theme. So, I started THAT list. And when I was done I decided all the things I was collecting, ideas as well as items, were actually blessings. Things about my life that make me who I am and allow me to keep striving to be the best I can be at what I do. Each activity isn't necessarily a blessing, it's my ability to do the things I love to do, and be with the people I love to be with. This became an introspective activity, and that's probably where I am in my life right now. If the shoe fits..., so to speak. So, welcome to my 100th Post ! Without everyone I've met thr

Macro Monday + One

With a little help from my friend (+1=not macro, though taken with my macro lens) Things I Love About Summer (in no particular order, though I see food appears higher on the list than does exercise.) Picnics Fresh fruit Fresh vegetables Celebrations Fireworks Family reunions Quiet, country mornings Showy meadows Gentle rains Thunder storms Family gatherings Children's laughter at dusk The sound of dogs barking Windows open Gently blowing curtains Big puffy clouds Being warm Sandals The smell of fresh cut grass The sound of lawn mowers Sitting on the porch reading Time The colors Flowers GREEN Leaves on the trees Adventures Photo ops Waves on the beach Ice cream Long walks Riding bikes Having church outside at the pavilion Camping Boating Fairs Sunrise and Sunsets The Great Lakes I'm sure this isn't the entire list, but it's a good start. It could also become a "things I'm grateful for" list, as well. We need to take time periodically to reflect on all t

Restoration in the Works!

  The Ammi Wright House.  Built 1888.         Our town has some pretty remarkable older homes and businesses.  Many have already been restored and are residences and/or businesses.   We went to a meeting the other night which focused on how to go about restoring a beautiful old lumber Barron's home - the Ammi Wright house, just off the main street. It has been empty for a great many years and needs a lot of work to bring it back to life.  But this group of people can do it.   The building itself is already purchased as part of an agreement with the Gratiot Area Historical Society.  Located in a nearby town, they have purchased it and Alma will be part of this system.  We are now forming committees for all the areas which need to be addressed, including historical research, fundraising, publicity, etc.  Lots of work, and lots of interest.  There is a steering committee in place, and we all signed up for an area we feel comfortable helping with.  Mine is research, which is no surpris