Skip to main content

Travels to the Edge - Ghana Style -1

We arrived in Ghana over a week ago, but technology did not arrive with us. Today is a good day, and time is on our side (which is usually the case in Ghana).

Our journey was very long, but uneventful. My 9 students met us at Detroit Metro airport, where the journey began. Detroit to Atlanta was a quiet leg, and one which built our excitement. When we landed and made our way to the gate which would take us directly to Accra, the capital, we knew we were going to a strange and distant land. This leg of the journey would be extremely multi-cultural, for which we were ready (almost).

One really unique thing to us was the ability to track our flight on a screen mounted on the seat in front of us. We watched the journey, changed screens to check our altitude, flight speed, etc., and even had the chance to watch a movie or two. I finally got a look at Prince of Persia, but couldn't concentrate enough to watch the entire thing:).

From Atlanta to Accra was approximately 11 hours, a long, exhausting, and mostly sleepless flight for us. A few students managed to curl up and sleep - the benefit to having an overnight flight is the dark. We were fed meals, got pillows and blankets - and if we hadn't seen the 1st class section we might never have known how good it could really be.

During the flight the students were in one area of the plane, but not necessarily sitting together. This was a good thing, as they could mix with those from the area. Many discussions ensued surrounding what Africa/Ghana was like, what to see and do, etc.

Finally we arrived - landing smoothly in the capital city of Ghana. Greeted with the typical expression: Akwaaba (welcome).
Customs went smoothly, well, almost. My students and husband went through with no problem at all. When it came to my turn, for some reason the person checking me through decided I should stay for only 30 days, which she stamped onto my visa. When I joined the others I looked at my husband and suggested he pay close attention to how to do student teacher observations and evaluations, and electronic portfolios, etc.....as he'd be finishing up my assignment for me! Fortunately I am told I will just have to apply for an extension, which shouldn't be a problem. I love the word "shouldn't," do you?

A bus from the village in Tema was waiting, with a helpful driver, and air conditioning. The minute we were off the plane we knew were in Africa! A ride to the village, and a warm welcome helped round out the beginning of our fantastic adventure.

Our house awaits...again, with air conditioning, ceiling fans, bed, bath, living and dining areas, a back yard with coconut trees and exotic birds.....

...and a welcoming front porch from which to do my work and watch the children at play. Come and sit awhile and I'll tell you all about our journeys around Africa, and in the classrooms.


Akwaaba - welcome.

Comments

marlea said…
How exciting Sandy. Will be watching for more posts. Beautiful. God be with you my friend. You and your students will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers! :) - Marlea

Popular posts from this blog

100 Blessings

It's funny how a project takes on a life of its own. I started out making a list of things I'd like to take pictures of - piles of M&M's, rocks on the beach, license plates hanging on an old garage door. Then I decided it would be interesting to find 100 items about "me," celebrating my 100th post with items about me/my life/etc. This way I could tie my compulsion to blog in to my theme. So, I started THAT list. And when I was done I decided all the things I was collecting, ideas as well as items, were actually blessings. Things about my life that make me who I am and allow me to keep striving to be the best I can be at what I do. Each activity isn't necessarily a blessing, it's my ability to do the things I love to do, and be with the people I love to be with. This became an introspective activity, and that's probably where I am in my life right now. If the shoe fits..., so to speak. So, welcome to my 100th Post ! Without everyone I've met thr

Macro Monday + One

With a little help from my friend (+1=not macro, though taken with my macro lens) Things I Love About Summer (in no particular order, though I see food appears higher on the list than does exercise.) Picnics Fresh fruit Fresh vegetables Celebrations Fireworks Family reunions Quiet, country mornings Showy meadows Gentle rains Thunder storms Family gatherings Children's laughter at dusk The sound of dogs barking Windows open Gently blowing curtains Big puffy clouds Being warm Sandals The smell of fresh cut grass The sound of lawn mowers Sitting on the porch reading Time The colors Flowers GREEN Leaves on the trees Adventures Photo ops Waves on the beach Ice cream Long walks Riding bikes Having church outside at the pavilion Camping Boating Fairs Sunrise and Sunsets The Great Lakes I'm sure this isn't the entire list, but it's a good start. It could also become a "things I'm grateful for" list, as well. We need to take time periodically to reflect on all t

Restoration in the Works!

  The Ammi Wright House.  Built 1888.         Our town has some pretty remarkable older homes and businesses.  Many have already been restored and are residences and/or businesses.   We went to a meeting the other night which focused on how to go about restoring a beautiful old lumber Barron's home - the Ammi Wright house, just off the main street. It has been empty for a great many years and needs a lot of work to bring it back to life.  But this group of people can do it.   The building itself is already purchased as part of an agreement with the Gratiot Area Historical Society.  Located in a nearby town, they have purchased it and Alma will be part of this system.  We are now forming committees for all the areas which need to be addressed, including historical research, fundraising, publicity, etc.  Lots of work, and lots of interest.  There is a steering committee in place, and we all signed up for an area we feel comfortable helping with.  Mine is research, which is no surpris