Skip to main content

Beethovens Bust- reprised


The story about Beethoven's Bust the other day has gotten me thinking about that last year of teaching, and the many blessings I keep tucked in my heart - the faces and voices and actions of former students.

I taught at a combined junior/senior high school, which was a great arrangement as far as I was concerned. I could watch my middle level students grow and change, and shake their hands at graduation. The graduation cards I sent usually included photos of students from their time in my classes, and were great fun to revisit as we chatted about the future before them.

Another great perk to this teaching situation was directing some of them in the high school musicals. It was another level of modeling and nurturing these students, and further bonded us I think.

The last post I wrote was about my director's gift the last time I directed at the high school, and an extra special group of students. The Music Man is a very energetic production, with a large cast. Sometimes a large class is a blessing, and sometimes it's a headache. In the fall of 2002 it was a fabulous cast, an extremely talented group of young people. I'd also had a large number of them as students in middle school.

I explained in Beethoven's Bust that I had retired in the spring of 2002, but was still directing that fall. The robbery was a huge deal in the community and everyone was talking about it. The bust of Beethoven became a symbol of the robbery, but to my students it was a symbol of "me." I loved music, I played the piano a bit, I sang, and they all knew I listened to classical music because we played it in class a lot. So, to them this bust was important, and seemed like an extension of who I was.

From what I hear, this was a very important gift and it took lots of work to find Beethoven in an affordable price range. My co-director helped them with their search, and I wouldn't be surprised to know parents may have also been in on the act. I also heard about their excitement when they were finally able to find a bust which was in a price range which would work ( thanks to all who made this happen).

I may not have loved that first Beethoven, which had stood on my piano for years. But I absolutely adore Beethoven II. He is in his place of honor on my piano, watching over all the grandchildren who are now pounding on my keys. I had been extremely surprised by the gift, and profoundly touched by the thoughtfulness of a fine group of young people.

I am still in touch with some of these students, and a few may even read my blog - at least, those who are my "friends" on Facebook. Revisiting this story makes me feel as if I've traveled a journey, and found my way home again.

All this because I "owed" my readers a story about one of my blessings. You never know where your story will lead, do you?

Comments

julie king said…
you are blessed with life, friends and wonderful memories! and best of all, you know it!
joyce said…
I think it takes a special person to connect with high school students...I know I couldn't, I'm way to self-conscious & shy. But good for you, I wish all my sons' teachers had that special something. I have to add a memory that I had forgotton about a Beethoven bust.....when I was a teenager I had one of him & one of Mozart that my mother had made in a ceramic class. I was going through a bad, obnoxious teenage r phase, and I didn't like her boyfriend, because he wasn't my dad. I threw Beethoven, or Mozart, don't know which, out my bedroom window at his car, where both it and the windshield shattered. I had totally forgotten about it until I saw your picture of the piano today.

Popular posts from this blog

100 Blessings

It's funny how a project takes on a life of its own. I started out making a list of things I'd like to take pictures of - piles of M&M's, rocks on the beach, license plates hanging on an old garage door. Then I decided it would be interesting to find 100 items about "me," celebrating my 100th post with items about me/my life/etc. This way I could tie my compulsion to blog in to my theme. So, I started THAT list. And when I was done I decided all the things I was collecting, ideas as well as items, were actually blessings. Things about my life that make me who I am and allow me to keep striving to be the best I can be at what I do. Each activity isn't necessarily a blessing, it's my ability to do the things I love to do, and be with the people I love to be with. This became an introspective activity, and that's probably where I am in my life right now. If the shoe fits..., so to speak. So, welcome to my 100th Post ! Without everyone I've met thr

Macro Monday + One

With a little help from my friend (+1=not macro, though taken with my macro lens) Things I Love About Summer (in no particular order, though I see food appears higher on the list than does exercise.) Picnics Fresh fruit Fresh vegetables Celebrations Fireworks Family reunions Quiet, country mornings Showy meadows Gentle rains Thunder storms Family gatherings Children's laughter at dusk The sound of dogs barking Windows open Gently blowing curtains Big puffy clouds Being warm Sandals The smell of fresh cut grass The sound of lawn mowers Sitting on the porch reading Time The colors Flowers GREEN Leaves on the trees Adventures Photo ops Waves on the beach Ice cream Long walks Riding bikes Having church outside at the pavilion Camping Boating Fairs Sunrise and Sunsets The Great Lakes I'm sure this isn't the entire list, but it's a good start. It could also become a "things I'm grateful for" list, as well. We need to take time periodically to reflect on all t

Restoration in the Works!

  The Ammi Wright House.  Built 1888.         Our town has some pretty remarkable older homes and businesses.  Many have already been restored and are residences and/or businesses.   We went to a meeting the other night which focused on how to go about restoring a beautiful old lumber Barron's home - the Ammi Wright house, just off the main street. It has been empty for a great many years and needs a lot of work to bring it back to life.  But this group of people can do it.   The building itself is already purchased as part of an agreement with the Gratiot Area Historical Society.  Located in a nearby town, they have purchased it and Alma will be part of this system.  We are now forming committees for all the areas which need to be addressed, including historical research, fundraising, publicity, etc.  Lots of work, and lots of interest.  There is a steering committee in place, and we all signed up for an area we feel comfortable helping with.  Mine is research, which is no surpris