Skip to main content

Cops and Doughnuts

I love heart-warming stories, stories of community spirit and hope. This is just such a story.

A small town bakery was going out of business. If you know anything about Michigan's economy this is not an unusual story. The downtown areas of some of our little towns are starting to look like ghost towns. Empty store fronts are the norm. One little town near us, Clare, is no exception.

There is something else about small towns that needs to be told, and that's community spirit. Clare has spirit. The police department didn't want one more business to close, and grouped together to change that. The entire 9-man police force went together and bought the bakery. Yes, bought it. And renamed it "Cops and Doughnuts."


Why "Cops and Doughnuts?" It's a cliche, don't you think? An old pairing: the tired and hungry policeman walking his beat, looking for a place for a cup of coffee at an hour of the day when most businesses are closed. For some reason doughnuts and policemen are thought of as a dynamic duo. When I typed a search for this information I found blogs still asking the question, and people still trying to answer it.

And now... for the Rest of the Story (thank you Paul Harvey:)). Not only did the members of the Clare police department buy the bakery, but news of the community spirit spread. This small town bakery and it's big hearted owners have been featured on Good Morning America, and other news programs. People come from all over; word has gotten out. There has even been an offer to franchise! These men in blue, however, had no idea this was going to happen - this notoriety was not a goal. They are so open and honest about their good intentions, and lack of business expertise. They just wanted to help grow Clare a little bit - preserving an historic business.

So, this story comes wrapped for Black & White Wednesday...a story of an old town and historic business and some citizens who wanted to preserve it. Another example of what America stands for - good old-fashioned native ingenuity.


Comments

Char said…
my brother is a police officer :)

beautiful shots - hope it works out
Pugelicious said…
What a great story. I loved the t-shirt that say you have the right to remain glazed. Great slogan!! Having just eaten half of my son's chocie donut - I can relate to the donut experience :)
Dan Felstead said…
Sandy...
I saw this on the national news! It is really neat that you live nearby and could see this first hand. I, like you, love small towns and the stories they hold. I truly am saddened by the demise of so many and the lifestyle that goes with them. Thanks for a great post.

Dan
Sandy K. said…
You're welcome for the story. We need to tell these types of stories more, and see them more often, and share them more often...how else can we grow a more positive society?
georgia b. said…
i love it! i grew up in a small town, so this is heart-warming.

great b&w shots, too.
Anonymous said…
I live in Clare, know these Officers personally and am so grateful and excited for them. And thanks to all the media people that have thought it important enough to tell their story! If you get anywhere near the central Michigan araa stop in Clare - the doughnuts are AWESOME!

Popular posts from this blog

100 Blessings

It's funny how a project takes on a life of its own. I started out making a list of things I'd like to take pictures of - piles of M&M's, rocks on the beach, license plates hanging on an old garage door. Then I decided it would be interesting to find 100 items about "me," celebrating my 100th post with items about me/my life/etc. This way I could tie my compulsion to blog in to my theme. So, I started THAT list. And when I was done I decided all the things I was collecting, ideas as well as items, were actually blessings. Things about my life that make me who I am and allow me to keep striving to be the best I can be at what I do. Each activity isn't necessarily a blessing, it's my ability to do the things I love to do, and be with the people I love to be with. This became an introspective activity, and that's probably where I am in my life right now. If the shoe fits..., so to speak. So, welcome to my 100th Post ! Without everyone I've met thr

Macro Monday + One

With a little help from my friend (+1=not macro, though taken with my macro lens) Things I Love About Summer (in no particular order, though I see food appears higher on the list than does exercise.) Picnics Fresh fruit Fresh vegetables Celebrations Fireworks Family reunions Quiet, country mornings Showy meadows Gentle rains Thunder storms Family gatherings Children's laughter at dusk The sound of dogs barking Windows open Gently blowing curtains Big puffy clouds Being warm Sandals The smell of fresh cut grass The sound of lawn mowers Sitting on the porch reading Time The colors Flowers GREEN Leaves on the trees Adventures Photo ops Waves on the beach Ice cream Long walks Riding bikes Having church outside at the pavilion Camping Boating Fairs Sunrise and Sunsets The Great Lakes I'm sure this isn't the entire list, but it's a good start. It could also become a "things I'm grateful for" list, as well. We need to take time periodically to reflect on all t

Restoration in the Works!

  The Ammi Wright House.  Built 1888.         Our town has some pretty remarkable older homes and businesses.  Many have already been restored and are residences and/or businesses.   We went to a meeting the other night which focused on how to go about restoring a beautiful old lumber Barron's home - the Ammi Wright house, just off the main street. It has been empty for a great many years and needs a lot of work to bring it back to life.  But this group of people can do it.   The building itself is already purchased as part of an agreement with the Gratiot Area Historical Society.  Located in a nearby town, they have purchased it and Alma will be part of this system.  We are now forming committees for all the areas which need to be addressed, including historical research, fundraising, publicity, etc.  Lots of work, and lots of interest.  There is a steering committee in place, and we all signed up for an area we feel comfortable helping with.  Mine is research, which is no surpris