Skip to main content

Interesting Spin on Things

I'm reading the book I mentioned in my last post - Last Child in the Woods -Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder, by Richard Louv-starting with the quotes in the front of the book. The first one is a quote by Walt Whitman, a fabulous writer and naturalist:

There was a child went forth every day,
And the first object he look'd upon, that object he became,
And that object became part of him for the day or a certain part of the day,
Or for many years or stretching cycles of years.
The early lilacs became part of this child,
And grass and white and red morning glories, and white and red clover,
and the song of the phoebe-bird,
And the Third-month lambs and the sow's pink-faint litter,
and the mare's foal and the cow's calf,...

The second quote is from a fourth-grader in San Diego:

I like to play indoors better 'cause that's where all the
electrical outlets are.

How disturbing is that? Yet it's quite believeable. It takes effort to teach a child to appreciate the natural world, and our society isn't set up for that. How many people do you know who take their children camping, or encourage outdoor play? How many parents are heard saying, "It's a beautiful day today. Turn off that TV (or computer) and go outside and find something to do?" And that doesn't mean running around downtown, it means playing in the yard or at the neighborhood park or in the woods. It means building a tree house, playing red-light green-light (remember that game?), catching frogs or going fishing.

Unfortunately safety is becoming an issue, and parents are decidedly more cautious about letting their children "run around." They can't play outside after dark, like we used to do when we were kids. That used to be the START of the fun, in our neighborhood. Street lights came on, the kids went outside after dinner, and we didn't come home until we were called. And we sometimes "didn't hear" the first couple of calls.

But it doesn't mean we don't have a responsibility to teach our children, grandchildren, ANY children about using their imagination, playing with other children, creating their own games and activities, and enjoying fresh air, sunshine, and all the natural world has to offer. Even in a city, there are natural things, as the author of this book points out.

So, I will keep reading this book, and keep being an advocate for educating young people about the importance of taking care of their environments, and having fun at the same time. They need to learn to pay attention...now...before we lose our valuable resources. These young people are the ones who will take care of the land and enviroment, after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 Blessings

It's funny how a project takes on a life of its own. I started out making a list of things I'd like to take pictures of - piles of M&M's, rocks on the beach, license plates hanging on an old garage door. Then I decided it would be interesting to find 100 items about "me," celebrating my 100th post with items about me/my life/etc. This way I could tie my compulsion to blog in to my theme. So, I started THAT list. And when I was done I decided all the things I was collecting, ideas as well as items, were actually blessings. Things about my life that make me who I am and allow me to keep striving to be the best I can be at what I do. Each activity isn't necessarily a blessing, it's my ability to do the things I love to do, and be with the people I love to be with. This became an introspective activity, and that's probably where I am in my life right now. If the shoe fits..., so to speak. So, welcome to my 100th Post ! Without everyone I've met thr

Macro Monday + One

With a little help from my friend (+1=not macro, though taken with my macro lens) Things I Love About Summer (in no particular order, though I see food appears higher on the list than does exercise.) Picnics Fresh fruit Fresh vegetables Celebrations Fireworks Family reunions Quiet, country mornings Showy meadows Gentle rains Thunder storms Family gatherings Children's laughter at dusk The sound of dogs barking Windows open Gently blowing curtains Big puffy clouds Being warm Sandals The smell of fresh cut grass The sound of lawn mowers Sitting on the porch reading Time The colors Flowers GREEN Leaves on the trees Adventures Photo ops Waves on the beach Ice cream Long walks Riding bikes Having church outside at the pavilion Camping Boating Fairs Sunrise and Sunsets The Great Lakes I'm sure this isn't the entire list, but it's a good start. It could also become a "things I'm grateful for" list, as well. We need to take time periodically to reflect on all t

Restoration in the Works!

  The Ammi Wright House.  Built 1888.         Our town has some pretty remarkable older homes and businesses.  Many have already been restored and are residences and/or businesses.   We went to a meeting the other night which focused on how to go about restoring a beautiful old lumber Barron's home - the Ammi Wright house, just off the main street. It has been empty for a great many years and needs a lot of work to bring it back to life.  But this group of people can do it.   The building itself is already purchased as part of an agreement with the Gratiot Area Historical Society.  Located in a nearby town, they have purchased it and Alma will be part of this system.  We are now forming committees for all the areas which need to be addressed, including historical research, fundraising, publicity, etc.  Lots of work, and lots of interest.  There is a steering committee in place, and we all signed up for an area we feel comfortable helping with.  Mine is research, which is no surpris