Skip to main content

Mole National Park-Ghana-3

Mole National Park, Ghana’s largest wildlife sanctuary, is a gorgeous spot in the northwestern area of Ghana. There are more than 90 mammal species and at least 344 bird species within this protected area. Because of very poor road conditions the bus trip from Tema took us 15 hours. The students say their teachers laughed at them when they told them we were going to Mole (because of the driving conditions), but once there the drive was well worth the reward.
Notice the goats in the road. Very common, all over Ghana.
Surprisingly there is little, or no, "road-kill!"
.
The students rose early the next morning, headed to the waterhole overlook. What a gorgeous time of day, as the sun slowly rose and bathed the water and gorgeous tree limbs with warm light. This immediately became a favorite place for Paul, who could be found here whenever there was a free moment.

One of the first adventures we had was a guided, 2 hour hike through the forested area and alongside water reservoir/watering holes. We are here at the end of the rainy season so there were large flooded areas, which draw in wildlife.

Warthogs are common in the lodging area. We even managed to share breakfast space one morning, as we sat overlooking the largest waterhole. At one time we even wondered if a curious warthog would end up in the swimming pool!
Kob antelope and striped bushbuck were also common. It was exciting to walk the area, taking care to step around the deep elephant tracks. Peering through the brush were the various species of antelope, as well as baboon families, and the green monkey. Birds darted overhead and could be spotted in grassy field areas. A few we recognized, like the green heron and egrets. Birds of prey are also common, and we wished our son was with us to identify the hawks we saw along the way.

Besides the walking tour we took a ride deeper into the forest in late afternoon, looking for that elusive elephant. Elusive they remained.


As dusk settled over this sub-Saharan region of Ghana, we settled ourselves once more at the waterhole, hoping to see movement below. So calm, peaceful, and serene “wild Africa” is at this time of day.

Comments

Dagmar said…
Amazing how close wild life is to you.

And you are to me...we're on the same half of the earth right now, thinking of it.
Hugs D.

Popular posts from this blog

100 Blessings

It's funny how a project takes on a life of its own. I started out making a list of things I'd like to take pictures of - piles of M&M's, rocks on the beach, license plates hanging on an old garage door. Then I decided it would be interesting to find 100 items about "me," celebrating my 100th post with items about me/my life/etc. This way I could tie my compulsion to blog in to my theme. So, I started THAT list. And when I was done I decided all the things I was collecting, ideas as well as items, were actually blessings. Things about my life that make me who I am and allow me to keep striving to be the best I can be at what I do. Each activity isn't necessarily a blessing, it's my ability to do the things I love to do, and be with the people I love to be with. This became an introspective activity, and that's probably where I am in my life right now. If the shoe fits..., so to speak. So, welcome to my 100th Post ! Without everyone I've met thr...

Celebrating 100 Posts - A Challenge

Yes, we are closing in on our 100th post . Truly amazing. Thank you for reading and participating, helping keep the ideas, words and photos flowing. In honor of this momentous occasion, let's have a party. A party where "100" is featured. Do not become concerned if an idea doesn't pop into your head right away. You have one week to come up with something which includes 100 . Think party, celebration and fun. Think creatively. Think challenge. Photography is about expressing yourself, and challenging yourself. Here's a real stretcher! Celebrate with us by posting a photo (or series) which depicts the number 100 in some way. Let me know if you're going to participate and I'll create a way for everyone to link to each other's pages - chuckling, laughing, crying and surprising. You'll be amazed what you see when you start looking. Still at a loss? Here is a non-exhaustive look at the number 100: 100 years ago (something nostalgic- there's wigg...

Adventure Spots - Ours and Yours

It's June. Officially a summer month, and one I have always loved. It's also a time when I start thinking about having an adventure...to some beautiful, place more distant than my town. Last summer we had a wonderous trip through the western national parks, and spent a little time on the Oregon coast. The Columbia River gorge is beautiful - lush and exotic, fragrant, and heady with motion and sound. The waterfalls are astounding - and we love Multomah falls particularly. There's an upper and lower falls, with hiking paths for those who want to get up close and personal. The regular tourist path is paved, and leads you to this footbridge, spanning the cliff walls between upper and lower falls. Stunning. Where is one of your favorite adventure spots, and why does it touch your soul?